Friday, August 10, 2012

Family ties & land

So, spent 10 days with my hubby & a bunch (4) of in-laws. We were bringing Dad/FIL to his brother's 80th b-day party 3 provinces over. He doesn't drive that far & MIL doesn't travel well, ok, she doesn't enjoy traveling. It was really a good trip...no one was strangled (me included). I got to see Ontario again...just not the part I have relatives in.


 We visited the remains of that house that he lived in for the first 6 years of his life. It is located next to the land his grandparents homesteaded in the early 1900's.


 This is his brother & I think that is the well or outhouse. I was back at the "house" with my FIL trying in vain to record his memories. It is at the end of the road that is named for his family.

When we were in Winnipeg we found my dad's house that he grew up in. I took a bunch of photos of it & my hubby took one of me standing in front.


I wonder how much it has changed inside. No one came out and I didn't feel I had the time, with 5 people waiting for me in a hot van (even with AC the sun beats in through the windows).

Saw some pretty neat stuff too:

Saskatchewan's Mental Health Corrrectional Facility in North Battleford. (Ellen DeGeneres--say that 3 times fast!)
The stone fence looks handmade

On the steps of the Manitoba Legislature building:
"Oh, don't we all?"

Russell, Manitoba: in 2007 hubby & I stayed overnight there and found it a really neat place...didn't notice the bull then. Or I just can't remember seeing it. How I'd forget this I don't know!
 "Arthur"

A huge field of Sunflowers growing by Dugald Road, east of Winnipeg. My dad had a family friend who owned a farm that we seemed to often visit during haying season. Cheap labour! (unskilled too). I loved visiting the farm. Uncle Em's parents lived in Anola...and we called them Grampa & Gramma Em. Was years before I realized they were all called the same name & found out that was their surname! Loved them.                              
A field of sunflowers 

No comments:

Post a Comment