Saturday, May 19, 2012

I have a dream...that moms & dads know what they know

If I could do anything in the world it would be to encourage parents (mom's especially) to believe in their abilities to teach their children skills that prepare them for success in the world.


I'd want them to know that they don't have to send their child to preschool in order to learn to count or say their ABC's, to learn to share or how to use scissors safely and competently. I know that they are just as able to let their child explore painting with shaving cream, to colour within the lines or treat others nicely as a formally educated stranger. And I would want them to understand that pre-reading & writing skills aren't only learned when there are 14-24 other 3 & 4 year olds in the same room as their child.


Children learn through experience and I would brainstorm with those moms & dads about what activities they are doing with their children and what more they could do that would give their children meaningful experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment